Here’s how to search for an apartment or a parking place.
To search and apply for vacant objects you first need to register an application. Register an application (opens in a new window).
Start to fill in the application for a student flat or parking place. Once you have made your application we will send you a verification by e-mail. This is to ensure that you have filled in the correct e-mail address. Just click on the link attached in the e-mail and the verification is done.
Verification must be done within one month otherwise the application will be deleted.
When verification is complete, we will send a welcome email to you confirming that you are in our housing queue. It can take up to 3 working days for the application to be completed and you can apply for residence or a parking place.
When register foreign citizens must submit the following documents:
- Copy of your passport.
- Copy of your personalized Admission letter / Notification of selection results from the university in Göteborg.
- Copy of your finalized residence permit in Sweden if you are a citizen outside the EU/EES.
Observe! Renew your application.
Renew your application once every 12 months by logging in on My Pages. Check that your personal information is up to date and then press save.
If you do not renew your application you will lose your accumulated queue time. Please observe that no reminder will be sent and that you have to keep your application active.
Read more about queue days and extra queue time further down on this page
2. Search for an object.
You can search for apartments and parking places under My Pages/Vacant objects when your application is approved.
There are three ways of searching for available objects:
Torget (The Square)
Every Tuesday and Thursday at 1 pm we publish available accommodations and parking places. The objects are published for 5 day, thereafter the 5 applicants with the longest queing time will receive an offer.
If we have something to publish on Direkten, they come out on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays at 1 pm. Accommodation that are published on Direkten usually have an immediate moving-in date. The 5 first applicants will receive an offer immediately.
Note! If you already stay with SGS you risk having to pay double rent if getting the contract.
Sista minuten (Last Minute)
Sista minuten is accommodations, usually single rooms in a corridor, which have an immediate moving-in date. These can be published at any time, Monday to Friday. It is also possible to call in and ask if we have anything available. It´s "First come, first served" that applies.
Note! If you already stay with SGS you risk having to pay double rent if getting the contract.
3. Express your interest for an object.
Once you have registered your application you are on our waiting list for an apartment or parking place. To get an offer of a specific apartment or parking place you need to express your interest in the object you would like to rent. To do this you need to be logged in on My Pages.
When on My Pages, go to Vacant objects and search for apartments or parking places. To get detailed information about an object just click on the address. If you would like to rent the object click on “Intresseanmälan”.
Before sending your application you should check that your personal data is correct in your application. Should for instance your e-mail-address be wrong you will not get any offers from us.
-We will run a credit when housing is offered. If you have records of non-payment, the SGS will deny you your application regardless of how long you have been waiting in the housing queue.
- You can report interest in maximum five apartments/parkingplaces at the same time. You can only get three offers at a time. If you are first in the queue to more than one apartment, you will receive only one rental contract.
- To rank your offers, you may express your preferences by answer “Ja” (Yes) “Ja, andrahand” (Yes, second hand) “Ja tredjehand” (Yes, third hand) as long as the offers are in the same publishing period. You must NOT rank your interest reports.
- Start looking for accommodation latest one or two months before the term start. You may move in earliest in December if your studies begin in January and you may move in earliest in June if your studies begin during August/September.
4. Check your place in the queue.
Your time in the queue.
When you registered your application you were given an application date. Your time in the queue is the number of days counted from that date. Your time in the queue is important because it decides your place in the queue. The person with the longest queue time is first in line. The time in the queue is personal and must not be transferred.
If you are a member of a students’ union (studentkår) at Göteborgs universitet or Chalmers you will get additional queue time. Read more about queue time and additional queue days further down on this page.
Your place in the queue.
The place in the queue for a specific object is listed in intervals (i.e. 2-5, 6-10 etc.) to indicate your chance of getting the apartment or parking place.
The place in the queue for a specific object is listed on intervals 2-5, 6-10 etc. to indicate your chance of getting the it. Under vacant objects you can see the specific queue interval you would be placed within if you should apply for the specific apartment or parking place at the time.
It is possible to get an offer even if your queue interval is 6-10. Those with better queue placements may prefer other apartments/parking places among the chosen alternatives.
- The place in the queue is applied at the specific moment you are viewing it. It will be changed if any of the applicants has a registered application from an earlier date than you.
- If you apply in the beginning of the publication period you might be listed within a queue interval of 2-5, which might be misleading. If you wait a couple of days by sending your application you will get a more realistic view.
- If you move into a single room/single room with kitchenette with 10 months rent you have to wait three months before you can apply again, but your may keep your place in the queue after the end of the suspension.
- However, if you have received an apartment your time in the queue is suspended. If you wish to apply for a new apartment you can register again and start with a new application date after the suspension period of three months is ended.
5. Respond to offers.
Accept an offer.
If you are first in the queue to more than one apartment or parking place within the same publishing period, you can rank your offers. You may express your preferences by answering “Ja” (Yes), “Ja andrahand” (Yes second hand) or “Ja tredjehand” (Yes third hand) as long as the offers are in the same publishing period. Though, you will receive only one rental contract.
The person who has been longest on the waiting list will be given the apartment/parking place. Acceptance of an offer is binding.
- If you have been offered and accepted the flat and then regret the accommodation you are liable for the rent during the time of notice applied, which is one or two calendar months.
- If you move into a single room/single room with kitchenette with 10 months rent you have to wait three months before you can apply again, but you may keep your place in the queue after the end of the suspension.
- However, if you have received an apartment with 12 month rent your time in the queue is suspended. If you wish to apply for a new apartment you can register again and start with a new application date after the suspension period of three months is ended.
If you are not accepted for a course.
If you are not accepted for a course in Göteborg, you are allowed to leave your apartment with a week's written notice as soon as the term begins. Send a written notice along with a photocopy of your letter of admission. This only applies to newly signed rental agreements, and is not applicable if you are already renting from us.
Decline an offer.
If you do not accept the apartment/parking place you have applied and received an offer for, you decline through the website. You may reject no more than four offers, after your fifth decline you will lose your place in the queue and you can register again.
Note: If you have not replied to an offer you will lose your place in the queue and you can register again.
Time of notice.
-The time of notice is one calendar months for single rooms/rooms with kitchenette with 10 months rent and parking places. Two calendar months for apartments.
-For international students renting apartments through the university (Göteborgs universitet) and Chalmers, other times of notice will apply. See your rental agreement.
-The notice should be in writing and signed by the tenant. State your telephone number and your new address in the form for giving notice. The next tenant will contact you for viewing the accommodation.
-The time of notice is one calender months for apartments with 10 months rent (single rooms and one room with kitchenette) and also parking places, and two calender months for apartments with 12 months rent (1-4 room apartments) counted from the last date of the month the written form for giving notice has reached SGS Studentbostäder.
Queue time and additional queue days.
The main rule is, the one who has been standing in queue the longest, and who is accepting an offer, will get the apartment. There is also a possibility to get additional que days in order to get further ahead in the queue:
If you are a member of a students’ union (studentkåren) at Göteborgs universitet or Chalmers you will get additional queue time. Should you be a member of more than one Students’ union you will not get double queue time.
At the first opportunity you get 3 months extra queue time and then 1 month extra for each semester you pay your union fee. This is automatically cleared with the unions once a week.
If you do not have a Swedish personal identification number the name and email address is compared so these must be the same with us as with the student union otherwise the application will not be updated with extra queuing time. When you get a Swedish personal identity number this must be filed with both SGS and the Union, i e you can not have different identity numbers and it is your responsibility to ensure that the information is correct. Log on to our website and change the email address and your queue time will be changed at the next update.
Queue time can never be given retroactively, but only for the semester stated in the file sent from the union.
Should the application be updated with additional queue time meanwhile you have an offer, your place in the queue for this particular offer will not change, but is instead counted on the previous queue date.
To see your queue date log on to My pages and My errands. At Mina profiler press the link under the queue date for student flats and you can see for which terms you have got queue bonus.
To see your queue time log in to My Pages and go to My errands.
The usual queuing time rules apply, but priority is given to children who´s parent has been employed by the Dan Broström Group during the last 10 year period.